Afrikaans vs English

To the pro-Afrikaans fighters.... 

I have written on an e-newspapers the following: I LOVE Afrikaans. I love the sound, the old Netherland words that have become part of our lives, the, jokes only Afrikaans people 'get'. 

I speak my mind in Afrikaans and express myself in Afrikaans so much better. Like all people do in their mother tongue. 

BUT: there's no way we can demand Afrikaans schools or university teaching in Afrikaans- these days are quite a different language story as far as your career goes. No company I know of, besides Afriforum and a few likewise, use Afrikaans to do business. 

They also don't use an African language as basis. Everybody have to speak English. Education in Afrikaans can only take you thus far. To go abroad looking for work or even to be send to anywhere in the world as promotion will result in you having to speak and think English. 

To start with Afrikaans at University level, then later translate your studies into English is a career bender! 

This is the problem with the current school system: every school demands to protect our Afrikaans language/heritage, as if it will disappear. 

The Africans demand one of their 11 African languages....if only they can decide which one [I can never get my head around this]! Why not have English as main language, then either Afrikaans or an African language [if the school offers] as a second laguage? I feel most people get on their high horses when Afrikaans is in the mix! 

Think of the FUTURE OF THE CHILD. Even if your child plans to study and live in SA, they will have to do their job in English. Working with people means you have to speak English well. Unless you want to pack shelves or be a cleaner. The same with our African children. 

Stop fighting a matter that won't do your child any good. Afrikaans won't die - we read Afrikaans books, newspapers, speak and write Afrikaans on FB and email and watch our TV programs and news in Afrikaans. If you want to take up German and French besides your two other languages, be my guest [I did, nearly ruined my life]! 

To study and work in English does not make you a bad Afrikaner. Don't stunt your kids' future. Start to think out of the box.

Comments

Popular Posts